The Church21 Programme
Unfortunately, your browser seems to be having trouble displaying this video.
Church21 is the Parish Development Programme for the Church of Ireland and possesses distinct values, concepts and strengths. It is:
- A two year process
- For parishes of all shapes and sizes
- A shared journey
- Designed to help parishes formulate a vision, devise an action plan and begin to put it into practice together
What will the journey require?
- A recognition that patterns of ministry which worked well in the past do not necessarily meet the needs of people today
- A willingness to think beyond the conventional
- An openness to share with and learn from churches from a wide variety of outlooks
- An acknowledgement that there is a cost to change which is at the heart of Christian discipleship
- A commitment to work together as a team
- A determination to persevere on the journey
It’s vital to ask the question “Is it right for us?”.
The story so far
Thirty-four parishes went through the first programme and the areas looked at included:
- World mission project links
- Welcome and integration
- Planned outreach
- Worship – experiments and training for involvement
- Using buildings creatively
- Pastoral teams
The benefits of the programme included:
- A clearer sense of direction
- A new sense of “shared leadership”
- Hope for the future!
- More involvement from parishioners